[Advisors] Internet governance outlook 2021

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Sat Feb 13 08:35:33 PST 2021

Hello advisors. There can be no doubt that it is a turbulent world out
there right now -- and the Internet, as the world's critical
communications medium, is also experiencing an increase in potential
disruptions. The author of this article, Wolfgang Kleinwächter
<http://www.circleid.com/members/5851/>, Professor Emeritus at the
University of Aarhusis a member of the Global Commission on Stability in
Cyberspace, was a member of the ICANN Board (2013 – 2015) and served as
Special Ambassador for the Net Mundial Initiative (2014 – 2016). It is a
great overview of Internet-related activities around the world that we
might want to be aware of -- especially around the issue of fragmentation.

"... if somebody would have expected that the Covid-19-Disaster is a
wake-up call for the world to be more united, work hand in hand, and
pool resources reducing risks of a borderless threat, this "somebody"
was wrong. 2020 was dominated by "My country first." The global
cyberspace was filled with building new barriers, widening old gaps,
growing mistrust, nasty cyberattacks, more cybercrime and the first
Internet-based drone-war in the Caucasian mountains. What about 2021?
Will the pendulum swing back? Or will the digital cacophony continue to
grow in a splintering Internet?"

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20210108-internet-governance-outlook-2021-digital-cacaphony/
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20210108-internet-governance-outlook-2021-digital-cacaphony/>