[Advisors] Q: numbers on community broadband

Ivan J White ivanjwhite at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:43:52 PDT 2022

Hello Advisors,

I'm currently trying to get an infrastructure project up and running in my
hometown of St. George's and would like some advice on the following...

We intend to enhance the Mi'kmaw Museum Space and turn it into a digital
hub for the community, right now it offers free wifi for visitors (on the
second floor) and into the parking lot at ground level. We first want to
increase the strength and range of that signal. Second, we want to try and
give the entire town wifi. Unfortunately, I know little in the way of
logistics or technology on that side of things, I'm just a thinker of ideas
and a willing set of helping hands after all.

So...
How much cost is associated with setting up a community-wide wifi service?
How much cost is associated with maintaining a community-wide wifi service?
Is there a possibility that someone in the advisor's network can come and
speak to the Local Band Council and me about how technology like this could
work?
and lastly...
Is there any function of this network that could provide some digital
literacy training/presentations to local people if we are successful in
getting the grant?

Best,
--
Ivan J White

I am L’Nu, the Mi’kmaw, the First People of Miꞌkmaꞌki. I live and work on
the ancestral, unceded, and unsurrendered Territory of the Mi’kmaq People.
The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return