[Advisors] info needed re govt programs

James Van Leeuwen jvl at dusk.ca
Thu Jun 1 00:42:40 PDT 2023

Further to my preceding post:

Most of the (slow) progress with rural fibre deployment here in Alberta revolves around public-private partnerships, in which a local government issues an RFP that private network builder-operators respond to.

Some of these P3s have been well structured, based on the local government doing its due diligence.

Others have been flaky, typically because of incompetence or favouritism on the part of the local government partner.

The good news is that COVID really boosted the supply side of the Alberta market.

At least six Canadian companies are now active in the Alberta market for building and operating optical fibre access networks:

https://valonetworks.com <https://valonetworks.com/>
https://cnpartners.ca <https://cnpartners.ca/>
https://canadianfiberoptics.ca <https://canadianfiberoptics.ca/>
https://www.albertabroadbandnetworks.com <https://www.albertabroadbandnetworks.com/>
https://www.utilitynet.net/docs/Blue_Fibre_Press_Release.pdf <https://bluefibre.ca/>
https://www.nationfiber.com <https://www.nationfiber.com/>

The last of these companies (Nation Fibre) is under the control of a First Nation partner in Saskatchewan (Big Island Lake Cree Nation)

James