[Sican] draft note to SICAN

Gareth Shearman shearman@victoria.tc.ca
Mon, 17 May 2004 14:26:21 -0700

subject: CAP 2004/05 update

The arrangements for CAP for this fiscal are now starting to become clear.

There has been approximately a 45% cut in the overall funding.

The actual percentage of that funding allotted to BC has risen slightly.

To deal with this, Industry Canada has decided that they will fund
sites that best address digital divide issues.  They have identified
several criteria that they are using to evaluate this, as follows:

Low Income
Low Education
Rural
Seniors
Aboriginal
Francophones

They are using Stats Can 2000 figures and basing their decisions on
the percentage of the above groups in the various Census divisions.

What does this mean specifically for SICAN?  It means that
approximately 50 of our 95 sites will be funded this year.

By the end of May we will have worked out with Industry Canada just
which sites will be funded and which will not.  All sites will be
contacted individually either by us or by Industry Canada.

As far as SICAN is concerned, the fact that your site will not
receive Industry Canada funding this year does *not* mean that we
will stop considering your site  part of SICAN.

Unless you specifically inform us that you do not wish to be part of
our group we will continue to keep you informed and support you in
any way we can.

Regards,
Gareth Shearman