[Advisors] a foundation funding model

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:10:11 -0700

--Apple-Mail=_4B086A00-5A6F-43F5-9860-9E1545541224

If the federal government is the target, the critical question to start =
with is "What do they care about?"

A key observation in Garth's document is that the federal government =
(still) has no Digital Strategy.

A more salient observation is that the federal government has virtually =
no strategic capacity for anything, other than protecting Canada's =
massively vested interests in primary resource production.=20

That strategy is now blowing up in their faces (Kyoto, Durban, etc.).=20

Canada is a backwater in the Digital Economy because most of the country =
including government is not looking for a new gravy train to ride.=20

We are not suffering an economic crisis. Most Canadians believe the =
country is relatively immune from economic crisis, because the world =
will always need what we produce blah blah blah.

We will get our asses kicked sooner than later, but for now there is no =
incentive other than private profit driving development of Canada's =
digital economy.

With the notable exception of RIM, we aren't even in the game. And RIM =
is not looking like a global contender these days.=20

Any proposed solution for CAP funding that involves the federal =
government must align with Conservative priorities and their =
corresponding strategies.

Pragmatism is critical here, and that means principles have to be =
compromised.

Making this a social justice/inclusion issue will merely inflame =
dogmatic, knee-jerk vindictiveness on the part of the Conservatives, =
which would obviously be counterproductive.

An issue that Canadian government and industry alike really care about =
these days is the looming shortage of skilled labour.

It has the potential to cripple almost every industry in the country =
over the coming decade, and it is practically certain to further =
compromise Canada's economic productivity (we already suck, per capita).

We will need hundreds of thousands of new skilled workers to take up the =
slack, and this is probably the best possible leverage for securing =
program funding from any provincial or federal government.

Rural and remote Canada including First Nations is a vast pool of =
potential talent.

Providing access to education and training will be critically important =
to tapping this pool, and Internet access will play a fundamental role.

Define the roles and outcomes that 'NewCAP' could deliver in meeting =
this critical need, and build the proposal around them.

Brand the initiative so that its purpose is clear, and so that the brand =
makes it easy for the Conservatives to sell.=20

The Policy Advisor for the Industry Minister made the 'rebranding' point =
for a reason.=20

CAP is fundamentally a social program, and sounds like one.=20

NewCAP has to be an economic productivity and wealth creation program, =
and it has to sound like one.

Sorry Marita, BUT they won't sell something called COIL :^)

Hope this helps.

JvL

P.S.: I met with the Director of our local library yesterday. She says =
two thirds of their CAP site users are from the First Nation down the =
road.=20

The FN doesn't have its own CAP site, and without FN patronage, our =
local CAP site wouldn't have the numbers to make it work.

The library is about to undergo a major community-funded renovation to =
expand digital learning capacity.=20

The community investment would give them much better leverage with =
government funding programs... if there were any.=20

On 2011-12-13, at 8:45 AM, Marita Moll wrote:

>=20
> I have looked over discussion we had exactly this time last year on a =
new vision for CAP.  It pointed right back to a document developed by =
Garth a few years ago.  It has lots of nice elements and we could =
improve and wordsmith it forever.  A copy is attached but let`s not go =
back there right now.  If we want to continue to benefit from a federal =
contribution to this program, it seems pretty clear that we need to =
propose a new funding model!!! that they can buy into.
>=20
> So, just to get us all started, here is one idea:
>=20
> We suggest that funding be continued under the infrastructure program =
for one more year.  I'm not sure who is ultimately in charge of the =
infrastructure funding -- if it is Treasury Board (Clement) we would be =
lucky.
>=20
> Over the next year, a foundation structure should be set up to take =
over the program.  This foundation could be kick started with $1B?? from =
the upcoming spectrum auction.  Whatever the amount, it should be enough =
to generate income that would provide core funding at the current level =
for about 3500 sites across the country and residual funds that could =
act as a micro loan agency to community sites needing help setting up =
income generating services to grow the centers.  The CRTC also has =
funding pockets that could feed into such a model -- if they wanted to.
>=20
> A new name?  How about the Community Online Internet Legacy (COIL) =
fund.
>=20
> If we do some agreement here, let's remember that the kiss of death to =
any strategy is its adoption by the opposition.  Whatever the idea, we =
need to get it to inside champions and see if it flies (maybe even this =
fellow Winchester we met with).  If we can't keep the program alive =
during this government's mandate, well .....  I'll let you fill in the =
rest.
>=20
> Your thoughts
>=20
> Marita  <CAPvision-Internet Tree.doc>

--Apple-Mail=_4B086A00-5A6F-43F5-9860-9E1545541224

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
"><div>If the federal government is the target, the critical question to =
start with is "What do they care =
Garth's document is that the federal government (still) has no Digital =
the federal government has virtually no strategic capacity for anything, =
other than protecting Canada's massively vested interests in primary =
blowing up in their faces (Kyoto, Durban, =
backwater in the Digital Economy because most of the country including =
government is&nbsp;not looking for a new gravy train to =
crisis. Most Canadians believe the country is relatively immune from =
economic crisis, because the world will always need what we produce blah =
than later, but for now there is no incentive other than private profit =
driving development of Canada's digital =
aren't even in the game. And RIM is not looking like a global contender =
solution for CAP funding that involves the federal =
government&nbsp;<b>must</b>&nbsp;align with Conservative priorities and =
critical here, and that means principles have to be =
justice/inclusion issue will merely inflame dogmatic, knee-jerk =
vindictiveness on the part of the Conservatives, which would obviously =
that Canadian government and industry alike really care about these days =
has the potential to cripple almost every industry in the country over =
the coming decade, and it is practically certain to further compromise =
Canada's economic productivity (we already suck, per =
new skilled workers to take up the slack, and&nbsp;this is probably the =
[...]
2011-12-13, at 8:45 AM, Marita Moll wrote:</div><br =
have looked over discussion we had exactly this time last year on a new =
vision for CAP. &nbsp;It pointed right back to a document developed by =
Garth a few years ago. &nbsp;It has lots of nice elements and we could =
improve and wordsmith it forever. &nbsp;A copy is attached but let`s not =
federal contribution to this program, it seems pretty clear that we need =
to propose a new funding model!!! that they can buy into.<br><br>So, =
just to get us all started, here is one idea:<br><br>We suggest that =
funding be continued under the infrastructure program for one more year. =
&nbsp;I'm not sure who is ultimately in charge of the infrastructure =
funding -- if it is Treasury Board (Clement) we would be =
lucky.<br><br>Over the next year, a foundation structure should be set =
up to take over the program. &nbsp;This foundation could be kick started =
with $1B?? from the upcoming spectrum auction. &nbsp;Whatever the =
amount, it should be enough to generate income that would provide core =
funding at the current level for about 3500 sites across the country and =
residual funds that could act as a micro loan agency to community sites =
needing help setting up income generating services to grow the centers. =
&nbsp;The CRTC also has funding pockets that could feed into such a =
model -- if they wanted to.<br><br>A new name? &nbsp;How about the =
Community Online Internet Legacy (COIL) fund.<br><br>If we do some =
agreement here, let's remember that the kiss of death to any strategy is =
its adoption by the opposition. &nbsp;Whatever the idea, we need to get =
it to inside champions and see if it flies (maybe even this fellow =
Winchester we met with). &nbsp;If we can't keep the program alive during =
this government's mandate, well ..... &nbsp;I'll let you fill in the =
&nbsp;<span>&lt;CAPvision-Internet =

--Apple-Mail=_4B086A00-5A6F-43F5-9860-9E1545541224--