[Advisors] ltr to InCan policy advisor re: CAP/libraries

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Tue, 03 Jan 2012 09:47:34 -0500

Hello folks and Happy New Year.  We have yet to=20
reconnect with the policy advisor we met with in=20
December and, given the rumours about CAP being=20
absorbed by libraries, I thought it would be a=20
good hook to hang this letter on.  So, below is a=20
draft, with some explanation re: the library=20
context and a request for a further meeting about=20
new funding models.  I need your help with good=20
specific examples about "libraries" that don't=20
fit the common mould, with other points that could/should be made.

Dear Mr. Winchester

Please accept our best wishes for the New Year=20
and our thanks for the extended meeting on=20
December 8, 2011.  We appreciated your honest=20
comments and probing questions about the current=20
status of the CAP program.  We hope we were able=20
to communicate some of the exciting innovations=20
currently underway in this program which, we all=20
agree, needs complete rebranding.

We know there is a feeling, in the policy=20
community, that the CAP program is ready to be=20
absorbed into the library community.  We would=20
like to assure you that this is absolutely not=20
the case. To begin with, in the context of CAP=20
delivery, the term =93library=94 has never been=20
clearly defined. Libraries vary greatly across=20
the country.  In very small communities they=20
might consist of nothing more than a few shelves=20
of books and the ability to order books from a=20
distant main repository.  Some are only open a=20
few hours per week and staffed by a single=20
person.  They might be a small corner of a rural=20
municipal building that serves multiple=20
functions.  Here are a few reports describing the situation in various=
 areas:

=B7        In Nunavut, the libraries have no budget=20
for computers or technical support.  The only=20
support they receive for digital programs is through CAP.
=B7        In Saskatchewan, most of the rural=20
libraries are open only 12 hours per week and many are not CAP sites.
=B7         First Nations communities have very=20
large populations that depend on the CAP sites=20
for basic tasks such as completing job=20
applications and creating resumes.  First Nation=20
communities rarely have public libraries.
=B7        None of the 38 CAP sites in PEI are in libraries.
=B7        In the Vancouver area, out of 102 sites,=20
only 20 of them are in libraries.
=B7        Xxxx please send me a few more examples
=B7        xxxx

We hope you will be interested in taking some=20
time in January to meet with some of us again to=20
discuss different funding models that could=20
preserve the program outside of the Industry Canada envelope.

Finally, further to the =93living labs=94 project=20
demonstrated at the December meeting, we would=20
like to share with you the attached pictures of=20
the Royal Couple visiting one of the =93living lab=94=20
sites in Montreal.  Although this particular site=20
is part of a medical program, community=20
installations now being planned follow a similar model.

Sincerely
people at the meeting?

Marita