[Advisors] Openparliament.ca

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 15:38:23 -0800

On 2013-02-09, at 1:17 PM, michael gurstein wrote:

> I think that we in Canada should be advocating for a global Internet =
operating as a global public good and operating within a public interest =
framework.  There are a lot of forces aligning against that, both =
corporate forces that want to see the Internet operate in support of =
various private and particular national interests and state forces that =
want to control the content of the Internet as an outcome of various =
types of repressive national policies. But I think that it is in =
everyone's interests as citizens if nothing else that the Internet be =
"governed" more like "free" as in a public water supply than as "free" =
as in free beer.

If we are lurching to a re-hash of TC's position, and I hope we are, =
then I like Mike's point.  But maybe we be advocating it as a component =
of a national strategy, perhaps worded more like this?

> Canadians should be advocating for national governance of the Internet =
operating as a public good and operating within a public interest =
framework.  There are a lot of forces aligning against that, both =
corporate forces that want to see the Internet operate in support of =
various private interests and Federal Government forces that want to =
control the content of the Internet as an outcome of various types of =
repressive policies. It is in everyone's interests as citizens that the =
Internet be "governed" in Canada more like "free" as in a public water =
supply than as "free" as in free beer.

GG