[Advisors] "digital strategy" canada?

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:12:23 +0000

CFS has always been able to donate to CAP sites but, you are correct that d=
onating to individuals is up to the funding provided at the provincial/terr=
itorial level.  However, even if CFS could donate to individuals, there is =
still the missing puzzle pieces of high cost and poor performance of Intern=
et and lack of adequate training opportunities in rural and remote areas wh=
ich was the niche that CAP filled.

I see the high registration costs, travel costs and lack of meaningful dist=
ance participation in such conferences as the upcoming iCanada conference a=
s actually broadening the digital divide in Canada.  Those with funding (go=
vernments) or deep pockets (industry) will be able to attend and the actual=
 communities of interest be completely left out.  I would love to see this =
coming conference be truly "open to all" and to show-case what can be done =
with the extra effort and ingenuity that I know is possible.

I don't agree that all people in rural and remote communities are apathetic=
, victimizing themselves or waiting for the world to come to them.  I see t=
he efforts in different areas of the country (Brian's being an excellent ex=
ample) of remote communities being very proactive as far as they possibly c=
an and then still coming up against impossible hurdles outlined above and i=
n other e-mails.

I truly hope that by working together we can start to build some of these b=
ridges to encourage real change and inclusion in Canada.

Darlene A. Thompson
CAP Administrator
N-CAP/Department of Education
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910