[Advisors] "digital strategy" canada?

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:27:45 -0700

--Apple-Mail=_B90EF056-0DEA-473B-B4AF-369514884D2B

"I see the high registration costs, travel costs and lack of meaningful =
distance participation in such conferences as the upcoming iCanada =
conference as actually broadening the digital divide in Canada.  Those =
with funding (governments) or deep pockets (industry) will be able to =
attend and the actual communities of interest be completely left out."=20=

Darlene,

some well-meaning people want to leverage i-CANADA to address the very =
challenge you describe.=20

These are people who understand the challenges facing Canada's rural and =
remote communities, and have their best interests at heart.=20

i-CANADA has been consistently receptive and supportive of their =
interests, but is understandably limited in their ability to support.

It takes real people and real $$ to webcast conferences, facilitate =
remote participation and directly engage communities, especially rural =
and remote communities.

The challenge at this point is not money so much as securing commitment, =
participation and support from the rural and remote communities that =
would benefit from such opportunities.

The more commitment and participation there is in i-CANADA, the more =
cash and in-kind support they can attract.=20

i-CANADA is not a charity, and I hope it never will be.

It is a startup social enterprise that has no access to government $$, =
and limited access to cash and in-kind sponsorship from Canadian =
technology and service companies that would like every community in =
Canada to be able to use their products and services.=20

It is an initiative to find, foster and facilitate the community-level =
leadership that is fundamental to Canada's digital development.

The leadership we need will not come from Canada's senior governments, =
and it certainly will not come for our telecom and broadcast industries.

If we are to fully realize the potential benefit of ICT to our nation's =
economic, social and environmental health and prosperity, the leadership =
must come from communities.

The success of i-CANADA will depend critically on the depth and breadth =
of commitment and participation of community leaders from everywhere in =
Canada, urban or rural or remote.

How effectively i-CANADA serves to narrow Canada's urban-rural divide =
will depend critically on the depth and breadth of commitment and =
participation from Canada's rural and remote communities.

Decisions are made by those who get involved and show up.=20

If anyone can think of a better nationwide solution for meeting Canada's =
leadership needs in relation to digital development, i-CANADA would love =
to know about it.=20

At the very least, refrain from writing off i-CANADA on the mere =
expectation that rural and remote communities will remain marginalized.

If this came to pass, it would be a prophesy fulfilled by rural and =
remote communities themselves and by misguided people who advised and =
advocated on their behalf.=20

It is time for putting cynicism and small thinking behind us.=20

It is time for passion, commitment and collaboration from every person =
who shares the vision of a Canada that is fully digitally enabled and =
productive from coast to coast to coast.=20

It is time to step up to the plate and LEAD.

JvL

On 2013-02-25, at 10:12 AM, "Thompson, Darlene" <DThompson1@GOV.NU.CA> =
wrote:

> CFS has always been able to donate to CAP sites but, you are correct =
that donating to individuals is up to the funding provided at the =
provincial/territorial level.  However, even if CFS could donate to =
individuals, there is still the missing puzzle pieces of high cost and =
poor performance of Internet and lack of adequate training opportunities =
in rural and remote areas which was the niche that CAP filled.
>=20
> I see the high registration costs, travel costs and lack of meaningful =
distance participation in such conferences as the upcoming iCanada =
conference as actually broadening the digital divide in Canada.  Those =
with funding (governments) or deep pockets (industry) will be able to =
attend and the actual communities of interest be completely left out.  I =
would love to see this coming conference be truly "open to all" and to =
show-case what can be done with the extra effort and ingenuity that I =
know is possible.
>=20
> I don't agree that all people in rural and remote communities are =
apathetic, victimizing themselves or waiting for the world to come to =
them.  I see the efforts in different areas of the country (Brian's =
being an excellent example) of remote communities being very proactive =
as far as they possibly can and then still coming up against impossible =
hurdles outlined above and in other e-mails.
>=20
> I truly hope that by working together we can start to build some of =
these bridges to encourage real change and inclusion in Canada.
bhart@ca.inter.net [bhart@ca.inter.net]
> Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 8:29 AM
> To: michael gurstein
> Cc: 'Marita Moll'; 'Kristina Verner'; 'TC Advisors'
> Subject: RE: [Advisors] "digital strategy" canada?
>=20
> Quoting michael gurstein <gurstein@gmail.com>:
>> Maybe Kristina and all rather than carrying this discussion forward =
in the
>> abstract and focusing on participation in conferences and so on, it =
might be
>> better to identify a specific area of possible common interest and =
start
>> working on how a collaborative approach might be developed.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Michael,
> I agree with your suggested approach.  Not to cloud the issue but I
> suggest we consider the possibility of including the Fed/Prov Computer
> Recycling Programs within our plans. Obviously many of those who do
> not have access at present also do not have a computer. Ind Can has
> seen fit to continue funding the Recycling Program and I think they
> might be willing to include CAP sites or those wihout equipment within
> the list of recipients. Up until two years age I was Chair of the Nova
> Scotia program and we did have an arrangemet which allowed people in
> need to acquire equipment and we often donated to CAP sites. However,
> I suspect any arrangements which are to be developed will have to be
> done on a province by province basis.
> Bernie Hart
> Nova Scotia
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_B90EF056-0DEA-473B-B4AF-369514884D2B

charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
costs and lack of meaningful distance participation in such conferences =
as the upcoming iCanada conference as actually broadening the digital =
divide in Canada. &nbsp;Those with funding (governments) or deep pockets =
[...]
we need&nbsp;will not come from Canada's&nbsp;senior governments, and it =
certainly will not come for our&nbsp;telecom and broadcast =
potential benefit of ICT to our nation's economic, social and =
success of i-CANADA will depend critically on the depth and breadth of =
commitment and participation of community leaders from <i>everywhere</i> =
effectively i-CANADA serves to narrow Canada's urban-rural divide will =
depend critically on the depth and breadth of commitment and =
participation from Canada's rural and remote =
get involved and show =
a better <i>nationwide</i> solution for meeting Canada's leadership =
needs in relation to digital development, i-CANADA would love to know =
writing off i-CANADA on the mere <i>expectation</i> that rural and =
this came to pass, it would be a prophesy fulfilled by rural and remote =
communities themselves and by misguided people who advised and advocated =
time for putting cynicism and small thinking behind =
and collaboration from every person who shares the vision of a Canada =
that is fully digitally enabled and productive from coast to coast to =
and =
2013-02-25, at 10:12 AM, "Thompson, Darlene" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:DThompson1@GOV.NU.CA">DThompson1@GOV.NU.CA</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">CFS has always been able to donate to CAP sites but, you =
are correct that donating to individuals is up to the funding provided =
at the provincial/territorial level. &nbsp;However, even if CFS could =
donate to individuals, there is still the missing puzzle pieces of high =
cost and poor performance of Internet and lack of adequate training =
opportunities in rural and remote areas which was the niche that CAP =
filled.<br><br>I see the high registration costs, travel costs and lack =
of meaningful distance participation in such conferences as the upcoming =
iCanada conference as actually broadening the digital divide in Canada. =
&nbsp;Those with funding (governments) or deep pockets (industry) will =
be able to attend and the actual communities of interest be completely =
left out. &nbsp;I would love to see this coming conference be truly =
"open to all" and to show-case what can be done with the extra effort =
and ingenuity that I know is possible.<br><br>I don't agree that all =
people in rural and remote communities are apathetic, victimizing =
themselves or waiting for the world to come to them. &nbsp;I see the =
efforts in different areas of the country (Brian's being an excellent =
example) of remote communities being very proactive as far as they =
possibly can and then still coming up against impossible hurdles =
outlined above and in other e-mails.<br><br>I truly hope that by working =
together we can start to build some of these bridges to encourage real =
Box 1000, Station 910<br>Iqaluit, NU &nbsp;X0A 0H0<br>Phone: &nbsp;(867) =
975-5631<br>Fax: &nbsp;(867) 975-5610<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:dthompson@gov.nu.ca">dthompson@gov.nu.ca</a><br>___________=
_____________________________<br>From: advisors-admin@tc.ca =
[advisors-admin@tc.ca] on behalf of bhart@ca.inter.net =
[bhart@ca.inter.net]<br>Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 8:29 AM<br>To: =
michael gurstein<br>Cc: 'Marita Moll'; 'Kristina Verner'; 'TC =
Advisors'<br>Subject: RE: [Advisors] "digital strategy" =
canada?<br><br>Quoting michael gurstein =
&lt;gurstein@gmail.com&gt;:<br><blockquote type=3D"cite">Maybe Kristina =
and all rather than carrying this discussion forward in the<br>abstract =
and focusing on participation in conferences and so on, it might =
be<br>better to identify a specific area of possible common interest and =
start<br>working on how a collaborative approach might be =
developed.<br></blockquote>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D<br>Michael,<br>I agree with your suggested approach. =
&nbsp;Not to cloud the issue but I<br>suggest we consider the =
possibility of including the Fed/Prov Computer<br>Recycling Programs =
within our plans. Obviously many of those who do<br>not have access at =
present also do not have a computer. Ind Can has<br>seen fit to continue =
funding the Recycling Program and I think they<br>might be willing to =
include CAP sites or those wihout equipment within<br>the list of =
recipients. Up until two years age I was Chair of the Nova<br>Scotia =
program and we did have an arrangemet which allowed people in<br>need to =
acquire equipment and we often donated to CAP sites. However,<br>I =
suspect any arrangements which are to be developed will have to =
mailing =
list<br>Advisors@tc.ca<br>http://victoria.tc.ca/mailman/listinfo/advisors<=