[Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA forum

Gary W Kenward garykenward at eastlink.ca
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:44:06 -0300

I just want to point out that there seems to be two "levels" of topics =
being discussed here: education on the purpose and use of ICT; and =
education towards improved literacy. The two subjects are quite =
different and require different teach skills, materials and plans. They =
also have different purposes. ICT is a tool. Literacy is a cognitive =
ability.

More important, teaching ICT skills does not teach literacy, critical =
thinking nor social responsibility.

All too often "computer courses" are focussed on training in the use of =
the tool, whether it be computers, mobile devices, software apps. The =
old school analogy would be teaching someone how to use the Dewey =
decimal system - a necessary skill (even today) that does not teach =
anyone how to research a subject, read critically, analyze information =
or synthesize ideas.

Gary

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.

On 2013.03.05, at 9:38 AM, Marita Moll <mmoll@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> Just a note that there is also voting going on in this CIRA my voice =
forum.  In the end, the opinions gathered from this site as well as =
opinions gathered from the actual CIF here in Ottawa will be rolled into =
a report to the Internet Governance Forum.  So, if you couldn't attend =
the meeting or the webcast,  there are other ways to have your say.
>=20
> You can express your agreement with any of the opinions posted by =
clicking on "Like this post." .  So far, Clarice, James, Garth and I =
have posted opinions in the "Municipal ownership of broadband as local =
internet governance" , "Digital literacy" and "Canada's digital future"  =
areas.
>=20
> All you have to do to vote is sign in:   http://cif.cira.ca/en
>=20
> Marita
>=20
> On 3/4/2013 8:55 AM, Clarice Leader wrote:
>> Once again I agree with Darlene. They also have not grasped the fact =
that the rate of change in ICT's is so rapid that the teacher/trainer =
must also be a constant learner and or able to teach others how to teach =
themselves.
>> Sent from my BlackBerry=C2=AE smartphone on the MTS High Speed =
Mobility Network
advisors@tc.ca<advisors@tc.ca>
>> Subject: RE: [Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA =
forum
>>=20
>> I just can't agree with Bernie more.  A big part of the problem, =
though, is that the schools themselves often don't see themselves in =
this light, beyond their own narrow mandate and the tendency to become =
little fiefdoms.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Darlene A. Thompson
>> CAP Administrator
>> N-CAP/Department of Education
>> P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
>> Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
>> Phone:  (867) 975-5631
>> Fax:  (867) 975-5610
>> dthompson@gov.nu.ca
=01=C3=9B=C3=A2=C2=B2=C5=A0=C3=AC=E2=84=A2=C2=A8=C2=A5=C5=A0x%=C5=A0=C3=8B=
@v=C3=B8=C2=AC=C2=A2=C2=BB-q=C3=86=C2=A1=C2=B6=C3=9A=7F=C3=BE=C3=B8=C5=93=C2=
=B6=C5=A0=C3=A2j=C3=97=1Ck=C3=B9=C5=A1=C5=A0Y=C5=A1=C5=B8=C3=B9b=C2=B2=C3=98=
=C2=A7~=C2=8F=C3=9Av=C3=B8=C2=ACors=3D