[Advisors] reconnecting with a larger community

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Fri Aug 12 18:25:16 PDT 2016

There is little talk in Canada about community networks, but in many
parts of the world, such networks are thriving.  Maybe we are just using
different names for some of these things now. I don't know. When the
message below came across an ISCC (Internet Society Canada) list,  I
thought about the community fibre projects like Olds, Alberta and
Chilliwack and networks set up in First Nations communities.  It is not
entirely clear what this person is looking for, but they did get a grant
from ISOC to produce training materials which, it appears, should be
valid worldwide. Anyone out there with something to contribute and/or
interested in making a contact.

The person to contact here is roger.baig at guifi.net.

Hi,

     As part of the Beyond the Net grant [1] (starting by September) we
     will produce training materials for building sustainable community
     networks. On the one hand we will exploit the experience gained in
     guifi.net but on the other we need the collaboration of other
     communities of practice because we want the materials to be valid
     worldwide (and not restricted to the Catalan/European framework).

     So, if you are a community network (specially from a developing
     region) or you are considering to start one, and you would like to
     have your concerns, advice, experiences, etc. considered in this
     Beyond the Net programme project, please contact me.

     [1]http://www.internetsociety.org/net4all

Net4all
Spain Catalonia Chapter

In Catalonia, Guifi.net has changed the way people get online. The free,
open, neutral communications network is self-organized and operated by
users. Companies, individuals, and local administrations contribute to
the nodes of the network. In 2009, the network started deploying fiber
optic cable to farms in rural communities.

The next step for Guifi.net is to export this model to the world. ISOC's
Catalan chapter is helping them do that. It will create materials to
help people in underserved communities all over the world to create
their own free, user-driven, decentralized networks.