[Advisors] Comment to CRTC Basic service review

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Mon Feb 8 16:21:13 PST 2016

Thanks David.  I think our constituency is quite large, actually.  We
can't count it -- but every one of us is in contact with many
like-minded people and have influence at many different levels. I really
believe that, through our continued discussion and interventions re:
Internet policy, we punch way over our weight.

The Open Data report, to which you have provided a link below, describes
the Canadian situation with respect to open data and digital literacy as
follows:

"This commitment supports development of tools, training resources, and
other initiatives to help citizens acquire the essential skills needed
to access digital information. Although this commitment is important to
reduce the digital gap, division of powers in Canada limit the federal
government’s power over education in provinces. Furthermore, this
commitment does not tackle the fact that many citizens and civil society
organizations lack the technology needed to work with data. To improve
digital literacy, other commitments should address the access to
technology."

Trouble is, I am not sure how to interact with this project or what we
could do.  If someone knows more about this than I do and can offer some
suggestions, they would be welcome.

Marita