[Advisors] Comment to CRTC Basic service review

David Murdoch davidjmurdoch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:28:11 PST 2016

Hi Marita,

I was hoping we could somehow count our constituency. It would speak
volumes to what we advocate. Others count their supporters to show the
strength behind their messages. Why not us?

I think the data is what we need to support what we advocate.

I'm not an expert but I have noticed for example, that Ontario asked the
public to vote on what data should be openly available.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/sharing-government-data

Voting is closed. But just as an example how much of the Government of
Ontario's business is now done online with the expectation that its
citizens are able to participate in that way. And how much tax money
collected by the Government of Ontario has been spent (and where was it
spent) to equip that public - especially those marginalized - to connect
and access so they can participate?

Once the data is made available then there are programmers who will develop
apps to make sense of it in ways that regular folks can understand. Alberta
is challenging users to submit apps that make a difference in that way.
http://open.alberta.ca/

These are opportunities to show where government can be more strategic when
it makes decisions.

David