[Advisors] Fwd: [GCC-coalition] We need some help from GCC coalition members [Get Canada Connected coalition]

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Tue Aug 18 17:35:25 PDT 2020

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[GCC-coalition] We need some help from GCC coalition members
[Get Canada Connected coalition]
Date: 	Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:11:44 -0600
From: 	Erin Knight <erin at openmedia.org>
To: 	get-canada-connected-coalition at googlegroups.com
CC: 	Erin Knight <erin at openmedia.org>

Hi GCC folks, back again with an Internet update and a favour to ask.
Can you share our campaign link?Update: OpenMedia just launched a
campaign <https://openmedia.org/bigtelecombains>calling out Innovation
Minister Navdeep Bains, who claims to support Internet affordability but
yet just cut it off at the knees. On Saturday, the government announced
that it thought the CRTC’s 2019 wholesale Internet rates
<https://openmedia.org/press/item/good-news-internet-affordability-crtc-lowers-wholesale-broadband-internet-rates>were
too low, and might “undermine investment” from Big Telecom. Bottom line,
this decision is going to make Internet more expensive and hurt indie ISPs.

You might remember how, right after the CRTC’s rate decision came out
last August, many smaller providers passed the savings directly on to
customers. Even better, the competition put downward pressure on
Internet prices for everyone. Without these low rates, prices are going
to go back up. It was our best chance to make affordable Internet a
reality during the pandemic — but Navdeep Bains just tanked it.Our ask:
We need help gathering as many voices as we can to remind Bains he’s
accountable to Canadians for this decision, and to demand real
affordability action. Can you help us spread the word by sharing our
action with your circles + on social media? To make things easy, just
visit https://openmedia.org/BigTelecomBains
<https://openmedia.org/bigtelecombains>and click the Twitter/Facebook
icons in the top right corner to share a prewritten message.

OpenMedia is also happy to support YOUR work in the fight for accessible
and affordable Internet. Do you have any actions on the go or content
you’d like to share? Feel free to send them to the GCC listserv!Thanks
for all that you do,Erin at OpenMedia
Erin Knight
Digital Rights Campaigner, OpenMedia
erin at openmedia.org <mailto:erin at openmedia.org> | 1-844-891-5136