[Advisors] Affordable Internet Day of Action - March 16

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Tue Mar 16 18:21:24 PDT 2021

I attended.  OpenMedia has done an impressive job of coalition building with this event.  The participants were a checklist of affordable Access advocacy agencies in Canada.  Michael Geist’s presentation title was a good summary of what was covered overall - Regulatory Capture / Government Inattention.

Out of four hours and many presentations and panels, here’s an idiosyncratic list of links to organizations/activities that seem to me to overlap with TC interests:

Bridging the digital divide is now a key principle of Toronto’s Poverty Reduction Strategy. Report for Action: Affordable Internet Connectivity for All - ConnectTO - January 13, 2021, To: Executive Committee From: Chief Technology Officer
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-159927.pdf

The Canadian Media Concentration Research (CMCR) project.  Media and Internet Concentration in Canada, 1984–2019
http://www.cmcrp.org/media-and-internet-concentration-in-canada-1984-2019/

Overcoming Digital Divides: Workshop Series
https://www.ryersonleadlab.com/overcoming-digital-divides

 	Indigenous, Rural and Remote Communities, Thursday, March 25, 2021

	Low-Income Communities, Wednesday, April 7, 2021

	Older Adults and Digital Literacy, Wednesday, April 28, 2021

 	People with Disabilities and Accessibility, Wednesday, May 19, 2021

	Public Internet Access, Wednesday, June 9, 2021

 	Youth and Digital Skill, Wednesday, June 23, 2021

GG